Friday, October 5, 2012

Our Generation Got It Wrong

 By: Georgia Trevor
"Our generation really does seem to have priorities messed up. It's sad because it's a way of life now for us, sadly," Longview student, Kara Fatseas stated about how she thinks our generation is today.
Alexis Lampkin states "I'm in no place to talk but I see the big picture and I realize things that mattereed then, is irrelevant now because we belieieve it's our "right". Like it wasn't fought for back then."
So I’m sittin here thinking, man are we messed up. You see, I happen to live in a world that’s corrupt; just my luck. What I mean to say is that things are twisted in today’s day and age. For further understanding, let me try to elaborate. Let me set the scene:

A girl gets pregnant, in her early teens. She was the whole package; with a mouth so mean, a body like no other and a swagger so unseen. So it’s only right that she got all the looks, mind on the irrelevant instead of on the books. Until she meets this guy that tells her blissful lies. But she can’t see as far as the eye. So with the guy, she furthers their relation. She’s convinced that she’s in love; she’s never felt this type of sensation. Couple months later, she’s feeling uneasy. Her body’s feeling different and her stomach’s feeling queasy. You see, that very same guy, that caught baby girl’s eye, took something of hers you can’t just go out and buy. So now she’s pregnant with a baby that ole dude is saying maybe to. “How could it be mine when I strapped up, boo? You trynna set me up, I ain’t no foo!” He’s saying everything she’d never expected him to. “What do you mean you don’t know if it’s by you? You trynna leave me on my own?!? Remember it took two!” So now a single mother out there on her own. Friends abandoned her and her parents disowned, with no one but herself, she’s out there all alone. Sadly, this is pretty normal for us today; a tragedy. But it’s the truth when you wanna be “grown” and end up losing your youth casually.

My Generation Got It Wrong.

A young kid, no older than one six, got a couple things in his bag and I ain’t talkin about tricks. Instead of making it on time to class, first block, he’s outside of the school, slingin rocks. Eyes roaming round while he’s grippin on his glock. Mama never cared and Daddy was never there. Teacher gave him false hopes, dealing with the cards he was dealt; unfair. Street smart; can’t learn what he knows from sittin at no desk and in no seat. Money is what he’s after, the root of all evil; greed. He’s got to live, and a nigga’s gotta eat. Sadly, this is reality, money over everything; a young brotha’s mentality. This is how you get respect. They believe these fallacies! When in all actuality, you go and live by the streets; you die by em, a casualty.

My Generation Got It Wrong.

Since when was it cool to cut up in school. When did being a man consist of carrying round a tool? Why are girls so thirsty for attention? Feeling psyched up for a measly little twitter mention? Clothes, close to none. Hitting up clubs, getting the wrong type of publicity is their idea of fun? Bad bitch is what they aim for. They don’t see that they’ve reached the status of a whore. Then when they want love the same dudes that left them feelin used got the real ladies cuffed. When are we gonna break this chain? All of this ignorance is enough to drive a person insane. We’ve taken stupidity to a whole new level. Damaging the minds of angels and shaking hands with the devil. Disguised to believe things in this world are possible; land of the free. Feeble minded people not caring to see, this world was never for us but those in the past fought for what we now have; we owe those that made history. Instead you smoke weed and drinking Amsterdam. Broadcasting it, uploading pictures on Instagram.  Fresh outfits and pictures of your money you got stashed have made their way to becoming your facebook stat. Stupid dude, the government controls everything! Or did you not know. Or were you living by this stupid motto they call Y.O.L.O!?

My Generation Got It Wrong.

Now I’m not trynna preach like I’m looking down on those who live like this. Make no mistake, I made sure to look at myself, I’m no hypocrite. I just happen to observe my environment. I’m not trying to be too old before I can enjoy my retirement. I know where I came from and where I plan to go. I’m writing this in hopes that you can walk with me the same road. I know I still have ways ahead but I can’t turn back to this world that’s dead. I don’t want to be another statistic. I’m trynna express the urgency in this 911 emergency situation. It’s logistics. My generation is broken, who’s trying to join me to fix it?

My Generation Got It Wrong.
"You guys are our future. Sadly, that scares me. Terribly." -Linda Trevor

No comments:

Post a Comment